Saturday, October 16, 2010

Second photo excursion in the jungle

7:18 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 16, 2010 – La Casa, Palenque, Mexico

***

Today our half day turned out to be quite fun; we got the additional data we needed but mainly I was just so pleased to finally have my SLR with me again in the field. It was a lot easier to lug around the gear for only five hours as opposed to the typical ten, and I enjoyed feeling like a real photographer again. It did rain for about an hour in the morning, but I came prepared with my sturdy camera backpack which has a tough outer shell, rain cover and solid straps for carrying in the toughest of environmental conditions. The bag carries all the camera gear I need (Canon 50D w/ grip, 70-200mm f/2.8 L USM, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, 50mm f/1.8, flash, filters, extra batteries, CF cards) and my computer (though the extra zippered compartment doubles as my hydration bladder storage while I'm in the field). There's even room for my lunch, rain jacket and binoculars in the top compartment. It's a side-loader backpack, which I've come to find essential when photographing on-the-go.

Obviously there are many photos posted on this blog from my daily trips into the forest when I don't have my gear with me, and they are all provided by my previously mentioned water and shock-proof point and shoot. Not exactly the sharpest camera in the shed, but immensely appreciated when I can' t bring my DSLR along for the ride (which is unfortunately often).






























































***

No comments:

Post a Comment