Thursday, October 21, 2010

Scoville scale of pain

7:30 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 21, 2010 – La Casa, Palenque, Mexico

***

Monday, the last day of our break, I debated over whether or not to take any action to diagnose and fix my ailing toe. Toe injuries are hard to take seriously, but also difficult to ignore. I’m generally under the impression that you can’t do anything about a broken toe except suck it up and walk it off. But with me having to stay on my feet hiking and climbing ten hours a day, I felt a more proactive solution might benefit me and the job.

I was finally convinced to go to the hospital clinic in town as my toe was looking worse than ever—extremely swollen and purple and painful to walk on. Sarie and Brittany accompanied me, Sarie to help translate and Brittany for moral support. They took an X-ray (which I got to keep!) and determined that my toe was not broken but severely infected and sprained. I was impressed/horrified that a mere infection was responsible for the enormous size and coloration of my digit. My toenail had been pulled completely back and my foot smashed against the rock, so dirt and bacteria had been trapped underneath all day while I continued to explore the Mayan ruins.

The nurse informed me she would have to remove the rest of the toenail to prevent further infection. She also said the anesthesia injection would be extremely painful, and likened it to hundreds of chili peppers being injected into my foot. I’m not sure how much I appreciated this colorful imagery, it certainly didn’t comfort me. Having a large needle jabbed into my tender foot was painful in itself, but the liquid fire which was released indeed felt like the essence of habaneros. All I could do to distract myself was mutter "Chili, chili, chili,” under my breath. From now on that shall be my mantra while under stress.

I went to the field Tuesday and Wednesday to track the Motiepas, but climbing up and down hills and waterfalls was miserable on my foot. We’re working on an abbreviated schedule through the rest of October in order to get three complete cycles in, so we’re doing just two days with each group.





























































Turtle rescue!

Who says you can't find clean drinking water in Mexico? You've just got to know where to look.
"Because I love that dirty water, Oh oh, Mexico you're my home!"

Today we went to town to finally pick up the material for our Halloween costumes we’ve been planning for weeks. On the 30we’ll take a bus to San Cristobal, a cute little mountain town six hours away that has been constantly recommended to us. We all want to experience an all-out Dia del los Muertos celebration, and San Cristobal will have a lot more going on than Palenque. Plus, it will be nice to get some fresh, mountain air. Of course, dressing up isn’t exactly the tradition here, but we thought we’d have fun with it anyway. I don’t want to give away too much about the costumes yet though—it’s a surprise! Stay tuned.


Refreshments and Halloween
costume sketches


***

No comments:

Post a Comment