Friday, September 3, 2010

An introduction

2:00 p.m. Friday, Sept. 3, 2010 - Muddy Waters Cafe, The Mission, San Francisco

***

To begin writing in this brand-new, chic black notebook, with its glaringly empty pages, is quite intimidating. The bound journal—while much classier than its spiral counterpart—leaves no easy way for ripping out unwanted or regretted memories. But, perhaps it's better that way.

***

I decided to begin this narrative en route to Mexico, during my planned layover in San Francisco to visit my brother
, Scott. After spending a few weeks home in Wilmington after finishing my internship at the N.C. Museum of Natural Sciences in Raleigh, I had grown closer to my parents than ever. But there was an important missing piece in our nuclear unit, who resides in San Francisco. Thus, I am here for five days before continuing on to my ultimate destination: Palenque, Mexico. There I will be assisting with several research projects regarding the behavior, genetics and social structure of black howler monkeys. I will be working for Dr. Alejandro Estrada and Dr. Sarie Van Belle, and plan to stay for roughly five months. I have yet to purchase my return ticket, and hope to spend some time touring South America and visiting my best friend Lianne in Venezuela before returning to the States.

After spending months checking job postings for field work on Primate Info Net , I finally heard back from the black howler monkey research project in Palenque. It turned out to be the best deal in many ways, with housing provided and the cheapest plane ticket of all the locations I applied to. An additional bonus was that I knew someone already working on the project, an N.C. State graduate who was in one of my primate classes last year. He was able to give me plenty of much-needed advice regarding packing, immunizations, money, etc. He also provided reassurance for my parents, who are relieved I will know someone in the area.

I am now packed and prepared, and enjoying my last few days in the U.S. with help from my brother turned-tour guide. San Francisco is the most biker-friendly city I’ve ever been to, so I’ve spent the last two evenings riding around with him to various friends’ houses, restaurants and bars. I have a new respect for girls who manage to go out in San Francisco looking all fashionable, and riding a bike while doing it. Last night I went with Scott and Linsey to the California Academy of Sciences, which becomes a 21+ party every Thursday night, complete with a bar and DJ. It is a pretty classy event, and it was quite a mission making the 30 minute bike commute in my “little black dress.” I made it just fine, but I was wearing Chacos. High heels would have been way out of my league.

With Scott working until 5 p.m., I have spent Thursday and Friday afternoon exploring th
e city on my own, with him showing me around at night. Yesterday I walked around Castro (the neighborhood he lives in) and then hiked up to Buena Vista Park, which overlooks the entire city. Fantastic view!


Today I’m tackling The Mission district, and hopefully later this afternoon I’ll make it to AT&T Park (home of the Giants) and Haight-Ashbury. San Francisco is extremely photogenic, with colorful murals/graffiti lining the streets and a good view of the city pretty much no matter where you are (there always seems to be something above you and below you with all the hills). I look horribly like a tourist (not that this is a false impression) with my camera slung over my shoulder and city guide in hand. But what people don’t realized is I look like this even in my hometown.

***




1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean about the bikers, Dutch people are the same way. The Dutch are well dressed all the time, nicer then I ever dress, and they bike everywhere. Its very common to carry others on the back of a bike, hold an umbrella in the rain, text with both hands and ride, or even read and ride. I need to try and take some pictures of people doing crazy things on bikes lol..

    ReplyDelete