Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Settling in

9:20 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 7, 2010 – La Casa, Palenque, Mexico

***

Jason and Evelyn took me with them into town so I could use my rest day to stock up on food and money (of the Mexican variety). I struggled at first to figure out what I wanted/needed from the grocery store, with everything looking so different than what I’m used to. This is to be expected of course, but even small tasks such as picking up milk and bread can be difficult when you’ve first arrived somewhere new.

When we got back, I got to play disc golf for the first time in ages. Well, a variation on the sport at least. Jason had put together two make-shift baskets so we planted them around the yard in various “courses.” Apparently we’ll have a lot of down time, so it’s good to have another way to pass the evenings.



















Our house is spacious, with two bedrooms with bunk beds, two bathrooms, a kitchen and common area. We have no air conditioning, oven or TV, but the doors and windows are kept open with fans blowing constantly to keep the air circulating. We also have internet, albeit a slow connection, so I feel very fortunate to be living in these facilities. The house is surrounded by flowers and fruit trees, and we have a big back yard shared with the neighbors.

A little after 5 p.m. the others showed up from the field: Chiara (a graduate student whose project we’ll be helping out with), Brittany and Liz. I also met Sarie, who is the other head of the research group in addition to Dr. Estrada (whom I have yet to meet). Tomorrow I’ll be initiated into the field by Chiara and Jason, which means being out the door at 6 a.m. So off to bed!

***

No comments:

Post a Comment